To get a roundup of TechMac’s greatest and most necessary tales delivered to your inbox on daily basis at 3 p.m. PST, subscribe right here.
Hiya once more pals, and welcome to Day by day Crunch for December 29, 2021.
That is going to be the final Day by day Crunch for the yr, because the information machine appears to be winding down for its New Yr’s nap. It’s been a pleasure placing these collectively whereas Alex has been AFK — alas, my little dash has come to an finish. Alex needs to be again subsequent week, and I’ll be transferring on to assist wrangle all of the information from CES.
Many because of the Day by day Crunch workforce, and to all of you, for letting me hang around for a number of days. Have a secure and great new yr!
The TechMac Prime 3
- TuSimple’s greatest check but: Autonomous trucking firm TuSimple says it has accomplished its first driverless check run on public roads, efficiently finishing an 80-mile journey with no human intervention. Will road-tripping children of the long run know the enjoyment of convincing a truck driver to honk the horn?
- 6 issues in cybersecurity we didn’t know final yr: Our safety editor Zack Whittaker is aware of his stuff, so when he makes an enormous checklist of cybersecurity issues that have been new to him this yr, I hear. Like, for instance, that the largest price in a ransomware assault usually isn’t the ransom itself.
- eVTOLs in 2022: Is 2022 the yr wherein eVTOLs lastly … take off? Calling it a “make it or break it yr” for electrical plane that may hover and take off/land vertically, Aria Alamalhodaei has an excellent multipart take a look at the state of the trade and the challenges on the flight path forward. Linked above is an element two, right here’s half one from earlier this month.
- GlobalBees joins the unicorn membership: GlobalBees, an Indian firm that focuses on buying/partnering with promising “digitally native manufacturers” to assist them develop, has raised $110 million in a spherical valuing it at $1.1 billion.
- Southeast Asian startups to observe in 2022: “As somebody who covers Southeast Asia startups and funding tales, one of the best phrase I can consider to explain 2021 is ‘whoa!’” writes Catherine Shu.
Expensive Sophie: Will the H-1B lottery be primarily based on the best wages?
I graduated in December, and I’m presently engaged on OPT for an early-stage biotech startup. I’m unsure how a lot my employer is aware of in regards to the H-1B lottery course of or if they’re planning to place me within the lottery.
I heard that the subsequent lottery won’t choose H-1B candidates primarily based on the best salaries paid. What else ought to I do know?
— Gifted Grad
(TechMac+ is our membership program, which helps founders and startup groups get forward. You possibly can enroll right here.)
Huge Tech Inc.
- Samsung’s C-Lab: Considered one of my favourite elements of CES — which we’re regretfully skipping in-person this yr — is how a variety of large firms use it as a strategy to exhibit the in any other case secret initiatives they’ve been tinkering on of their in-house incubators. Brian Heater has an inventory of Samsung’s newest aspect quests, which varies from pet recognition AI to diaper sensors.
- Apple places Foxconn plant on probation: Apple put operations at a 17,000-person manufacturing facility in India on pause, following reviews that lots of of staff needed to be handled for meals poisoning. Apple says it has despatched out unbiased auditors to guage the meals security and residing circumstances, with the native authorities additionally demanding motion.
TechMac desires you to suggest progress entrepreneurs who’ve experience in search engine marketing, social, content material writing and extra! In the event you’re a progress marketer, move this survey alongside to your shoppers; we’d like to listen to about why they cherished working with you.
In the event you’re interested in how these surveys are shaping our protection, take a look at this text on TechMac+ from Miranda Halpern, “10 progress advertising specialists share their 2022 predictions and New Yr’s resolutions.”